Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Legendary K-Otix are honored at Duke Law!

Has your favorite rapper been honored @ Duke Law? Check out what Damien Randle of The Legendary K-Otix has to say about this discussion at Duke Law =)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


"This is a long clip, but he talks about KO within the first 10 min. This is an excellent lecture on intellectual property and creative license. Back story after the jump.

(LOL at the professor reading Kanye’s lyrics)

I won’t belabor you with too many details. You already know most of the story. Hurricane Katrina hit in late August 2005. KO made “George Bush Doesn’t Care About Black People”. The internet got shut down.

Shortly thereafter, we got a call from Professor James Boyle, who teaches at the Duke School of Law. I was hesitant to take his call because i’m fan of UNC basketball, and hate Duke by defaults. I overcame my prejudices and obliged him.

He told us that he was conducting research on sampling / intellectual property etc, and was fascinated with the evolution of the G. Bush song, and traced it all the way back to the beginning of time (I exaggerate, but he did some serious research on this). If you have time, check out the the full lecture. He’s also written a book. We should have copies soon.

P.S. – Rappers, step your game up! Holler at me when they teach your works in schoo!. (Please ignore my false rapper bravado; I couldn’t resist)

P.P.S. – He called us “fascinating” at 49:39. That might be a first.”

This song just will not die. That is absolutely amazing…. Now, in case you don’t know what song I’m talking about, here goes a fan made video for it.






So tell me this, whens the last time your friend’s and/ or favorite artist’s music was discussed at such an honored institution like Duke Law?

Rappers, step your game up. Seriously…

And if you can, please, PLEASE, please watch the whole hour long video. It’s actually really dope. He breaks down how law is crippling the ability to create music (and even films) through the extreme use of copyright laws. Seriously interesting stuff, indeed. I kinda wish I was able to go to Duke Law to check some of this out myself.

No comments: